Food is a must for survival. Many of our holidays and fondest memories are built around food. Whether you are enjoying comfort food or going out on a limb to try fusion, there are always new foods to discover.

However, not everything that is eaten should be eaten. This list looks at common foods that have toxic parts, are toxic if not prepared properly, and a few delicacies you may encounter while you are traveling.

In addition, we’ll take a look at the number one killer in the United States!

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg is a popular spice that is grown in the Caribbean and Indonesia. The kernel of the seed is nutmeg. Nutmeg adds a warm, sweet taste and Thanksgiving-y smell to food.

It is also a hallucinogenic. A teaspoon of raw nutmeg brings on an elevated heart rate, nausea, dry mouth and vomiting. Hint: most of the nutmeg in your spice rack isn’t raw.

It is rarely fatal, but you might wish you could die because symptoms will last a few days.

2. Mushrooms

Most people know better than to eat wild mushrooms. In case you don’t, mushrooms can be incredibly toxic and even experts have mistaken a bad mushroom for a good one.

Not all poisonous mushrooms are brightly colored, either. Symptoms include kidney damage, nausea, vomiting, cramps, and diarrhea.

Some mushrooms are deadly and have been named as the death agent in several deaths including Emperor Claudius, a tsar and a pope. You are generally safe buying mushrooms from a grocery store.

3. Kidney Beans

Who knew kidney beans could actually be toxic? Turns out they are contain a glycoprotein called lectin. This protein kills the cells in your stomach, leading to could cause extreme nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

It is pretty easy to avoid kidney bean poisoning. If you are using dried beans, soak them in water for at least 5 hours. This is especially important if you are cooking kidney beans in a slow cooker.

Next, it may keep the doctor away, but…

4. Apples

The Wicked Queen was on track in Snow WhiteApples naturally contain cyanide, a very toxic substance. The cyanide is contained in the seeds, so make sure you avoid the core.

It would take a lot of apple seeds to poison yourself, but why take the chance?

A more serious problem is that pesticides cling to the apple skin and then get waxed into the apple during conventional picking. Wash the fruit and remove the wax coating for best result.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here