David Turpin, dad in California house of horrors, slapped with eight perjury charges

The dad from hell accused of starving and shackling his kids in their Southern California home racked up eight more charges Friday related to his allegedly fake home school.

Prosecutors claim David Turpin, 57, lied on government forms that claimed his minor kids were receiving full-time education in a private day school.

One charge was filed for each year the paperwork was signed under penalty of perjury between 2010 and 2017, John Hall, a spokesman for the Riverside County district attorney, told the Daily News.

The new charges are in addition to the multiple counts of torture, child abuse, lewd acts on a minor, dependent adult abuse and false imprisonment filed against Turpin in January.

Turpin is due to be arraigned on the new charges May 18.

He and his wife Louise, 49, appeared in court Friday and agreed to move their preliminary hearing from later this month to June 20.

The spouses were arrested in January at the family’s home in Perris, Calif., and are being held on $12 million bail each.

Their alleged abuse of their 13 kids was revealed after their 17-year-old daughter escaped out of a window on Jan. 14 and used a deactivated cell phone to call the only number it could — 911.

Police initially thought the siblings in the family were all minors, due to their small size. They later learned seven were adults, ranging in age from 18 to 29.

Years of malnourishment and mistreatment — which included being beaten, hogtied and taunted with delicious fruit pies placed just out of reach — stunted the kids’ growth and even caused cognitive impairment and nerve damage, prosecutors said.

David and Louise Turpin (pictured with their children) were busted in January at the family’s home in Perris, Calif. (Facebook)



“One of the children at age 12 is the weight of an average 7 year old. The 29-year-old, the female victim, weighs 82 pounds,” Riverside County District Attorney Michael Hestrin said at the time.

The kids were sent for emergency treatment at two local hospitals.

Corona Mayor Karen Spiegel later told The News the adult siblings were acclimating to their new lives of freedom and enjoying pop culture staples such as Harry Potter.

“It was the first time they saw it,” Spiegel said, referring to the Potter movies. “Their whole lives were controlled. There are lots of firsts. One of the (siblings) got a new pair of shoes, and they were a little too tight, but he didn’t want to give them back. He didn’t want to lose them.”

Spiegel declined to discuss the siblings’ health but said they were thriving.

“They are warm and loving. They’re embracing the relationships they’re developing with their (caregivers). Some are talking about the future,” she said. “They’re beginning to prosper.”

Sources told CBS the adult kids were also playing sports outside, exercising and using iPads.

“Our clients are doing very well in their recovery. We are grateful for the extraordinary generosity and goodwill of the many people who have gone above and beyond to help them,” Caleb Mason, a lawyer for the adult kids, previously told The News.